Long Experience. Local Values. An Attorney You Can Trust.

Experienced Representation For Weapon Offenses

Gun rights are important here in the Northland. But when mixed with substance abuse, domestic violence or criminal activity, possessing a gun can “backfire” and get you into serious legal trouble.

In my law practice, Scott L. Campbell Law Offices, LLC, I have long experience representing local citizens of Platte County who find themselves facing gun charges or weapon-related enhancements on other criminal charges. Call me at 816-866-8022 to discuss your situation and how I can help.

Gun Crime Defense In Platte County, Missouri

Missouri is an open carry state and does not require a concealed carry permit except in certain designated places. But it’s not the Wild West, either. There are limits and exceptions to gun rights. Recklessly firing a gun while drunk almost always ends badly. If you are convicted of a felony gun crime, you could face jail, a criminal record and – ironically – loss of your rights to own or possess firearms in the future.

In over 30 years of criminal defense practice, I have defended most types of gun charges and gun-related crimes, including:

  • Unlawful use of a weapon
  • Felon in possession of a firearm
  • Carrying a weapon in the commission of a crime (e.g., burglary, drug transaction)
  • Domestic violence charges involving firearms
  • Armed robbery or armed assault
  • Illegal firearms (e.g., sawed-off shotgun, automatic weapons)
  • Illegal sales of firearms

Charged With ‘Unlawful Use Of A Weapon’?

This broad category gets many people in legal trouble. Under Missouri statute, unlawful use of a weapon is a Class D felony carrying the possibility of prison time. You could face serious charges for any of the following:

  • Carrying a concealed weapon into a restricted place (courthouse, police station, bar, airport, etc.)
  • Carrying a gun into a school, school bus, school-sanctioned event or school board meeting
  • Carrying a lethal weapon into a church, polling place or governmental building
  • Brandishing a gun in a threatening manner
  • Discharge or negligent use of a firearm while intoxicated
  • Shooting on, along or across a public highway
  • Shooting into a house or any structure where people assemble
  • Discharging a gun within 100 yards of a school, church or courthouse
  • Discharging a gun at or from a motor vehicle
  • Firing a gun at any person or discharging a “warning shot”
  • Possessing a firearm while in possession of drugs
  • Setting a spring gun

There are some exceptions and defenses, and of course the penalties escalate if someone is injured during a violation of the unlawful use statute.

Businesses and private property owners have the right to prohibit firearms on their premises. However, violating such a policy is not considered a crime. It is a civil offense punishable by a fine of $100 if the proprietor presses charges.

Sparing You From The Worst Consequences

I examine the circumstances of your arrest and the specific charges for opportunities to challenge the prosecution’s case. Was the gun discovered during a warrantless search or a traffic stop without probable cause? Are there viable defenses such as self-defense or defense of another person? Intoxication is not a defense, but it can be a mitigating factor.

I have been successful in getting gun charges dismissed or getting probation for felony charges. When law enforcement has made mistakes or violated my clients’ rights, I am prepared to go to trial to fight for their freedom. I have also had some success with helping clients get their gun rights reinstated after criminal convictions.

Seek Legal Counsel Right Away

Any statement you make to law enforcement can work against you. If you are facing any gun charges, the best way to protect yourself is to avoid answering questions until you have talked to a lawyer. I will explain your rights and the potential consequences, and help you decide on the right approach to these very serious charges.

Call my Platte City law office at 816-866-8022 or use the online form to schedule a consultation.